The US Conference of Catholic Bishops supports universal healthcare, but took a stand against the Senate bill on the grounds that it might allow federal money to subsidize abortions. It turned out that many pro-life members of Congress were listening to other voices. Some 59,000 Catholic nuns, 600 Catholic hospitals and 1400 Catholic nursing homes all endorsed the bill that President Obama signed into law today.
Sex Abuse, Celibacy and Politics in the Roman Catholic Church
- Sister Simone Campbell - NETWORKLobby member; leader of Nuns on the Bus - @sr_simone
- Lisa Miller - Religion Editor and Reporter, Newsweek
- Garry O'Sullivan - Editor, Irish Catholic
- Diarmaid MacCulloch - Professor of the History of the Church, Oxford University
- Thomas Rausch - Loyola Marymount University