This recipe comes to us from Chef Brandon Boudet of Dominick’s in West Hollywood.
Chef Brandon draws on his New Orleans heritage every year to create a special menu offered during the week leading up to Mardi Gras available at Dominick’s and Little Dom’s. One of the Louisiana-inspired menu favorites is Chef Brandon’s Crayfish Pie.
Keep reading for the recipe…
Makes 10 pies
1 ½ Tb Butter
¼ cup Onion, chopped
¼ cup Green Peppers, chopped
2 Tb Celery, chopped
½ clove Garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup Green Onions, chopped
¾ tsp Paul Prudhomme Meat Magic Seasoning Blend
¾ tsp Crystal Hot Sauce
¾ tsp Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of Salt
1 lbs Crayfish Tail Meat
1 small Egg, beaten
¼ cup Breadcrumbs
3 cup flour
1 ts salt
3/4 ts baking powder
6 tb cold butter
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
½ cup milk for egg wash
6 cups Peanut Oil for Frying
1. Add butter to a large sauté pan.
2. Add the onions and green peppers, cooking for 5 minutes or until softened.
3. Add the celery, garlic and green onions, sautéing another 5 minutes.
4. Add the Paul Prudhomme Meat Magic seasoning, Crystal hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt to the vegetables, sautéing for 3 minutes.
5. Add the crayfish tails and sauté another 3 minutes until heated through.
6. Allow the tail and sauce mixture to cool to room temperature. Add the egg and breadcrumbs to the mixture to thicken it.
7. While the mixture cools, in a separate small bowl, combine 1 beaten egg and ½ cup milk for the egg wash.
8. Sift flour , salt , and , baking powder , cut cold butter into flour mixture . Beat egg and milk mixture together , add egg/milk mixture to flour slowly to create thick dough . divide dough into 10 balls flatten with hand and roll out (with a little flour if needed to a 5 icnh round . place 2 tb of crayfish mixture in center of pastry , brush edges of pastry with eggwash and fold over .
9. Once all pies are assembled, heat 6 cups of peanut oil in a large pot to 350 degrees.
10. Adding 2-3 pies at a time to the hot oil, cook for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
11. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy!