Every week Good Food visits the Wednesday Santa Monica Farmers’ Market and brings the latest news from farmers and chefs.
This week market manager Laura Avery talks with Bren Madina of Kincaid Farms about his handpicked youngberries and blackberries. She also talks with Akasha Richmond of Akasha who is shopping for heirloom tomatoes, curry leaves, malabar spinach and red amaranth for her forthcoming Indian inspired restaurant Sāmbār.
What You Should Buy This Weekend from the Farmers’ Market:
– Kiowa blackberries are known for their large size and glossy look. Look for them from Murray Family Farms in Bakersfield.
– Look for flavorosa pluots from Scott Farms in Dinuba with a vivid purple color and a red shoulder around the stem.
– The olallieberry (pronounced oh-la-leh) tastes similar to a blackberry, but is sweeter and larger in size. Enjoy them from Two Peas in a Pod out of San Luis Obispo.
– Marvell stripe heirloom tomatoes from Tutti Frutti Farms in Lompoc have a deep orange marbled interior and are named for its radical red stripes.
– Youngberries and boysenberries from Kincaid Farms in Redlands. Listen to Bren Madina discuss his handpicked berries on this week’s Market Report.
Recipes for your Market Haul: