Every week Good Food visits the Wednesday Santa Monica Farmers’ Market and brings the latest news from farmers and chefs.
This week market manager Laura Avery talks to Captain Ben Hyman, owner of Wild Local Seafood. He’s selling California-caught king salmon at the Wednesday Santa Monica Market, Saturday Pico Market and the Sunday Mar Vista Market.
We also hear from Ray Hayashi, chef de cuisine of Fishing with Dynamite. He’s shopping for edible flowers like borage that both garnish his dishes and add a big pop of flavor.
What You Should Buy This Weekend from the Farmers’ Market:
– Cherries. Catch the So Cal cherry season before the harvest moves north to the Stockton/Modesto area.
– Mara des Bois strawberries from Harry’s Berries in Oxnard. They taste like candy!
– California King Salmon from Wild Local Seafood. Pictured above is Captain Ben Hyman with the first catch of the season.
– Thumbelina carrots are round carrots at a golfball size.
– Pakistan Mulberries from Pudwill Berry Farms, located approximately 80 miles North of Santa Barbara in the town of Nipomo.
Recipes for Your Market Haul: