Santa Monica Farmers’ Market Manager Laura Avery talks with Jesse Barber, chef/owner of Dudley Market, as he shops for Frog Hollow Farm’s Warren pears and pork from Weiser Family Farms. He highlights his seasonal new menu offerings, including a roasted pear napoleon with salsa verde, served alongside pork chops, and a Warren pear and cucumber gazpacho made from leftover pear trimmings.
Farmer Al Courchesne of Frog Hollow Farm is back at the Santa Monica Farmers’ Market with his Warren pears. The drought has been devastating for his farm as water prices have skyrocketed from $25 an acre to $650 an acre.
What You Should Buy This Weekend At the Farmers’ Market:
– The Lemon guava and Che fruit from Murray Family Farms are part of Steven Murray’s rare fruit collection. The lemon guavas have the flavor of a lemon, the tartness of an apple, and the texture of a blueberry.
– Warren pears and Shinko pears from Frog Hollow Farm. The ripe pears will have a yellowish hue, so let the ones with a greenish hue sit out before you eat them. Also, listen to farmer Al Courchesne discusses his pears on this week’s market report.
– Fresh Cayenne peppers from Trevino Family Farms. The cayenne pepper has a high concentration of capsaicin, which makes them extra hot and spicy. Try adding chopped cayenne peppers into a stir fry for a hot and flavorful kick.
– The sweeter Jujubes from Burkart Farms have a completely brown skin. The Jujubes have a light, airy and crunchy texture that gave me the sensation of chewing popcorn.
– It’s the first week for Chanterelle mushrooms from Clearwater Farms. The best ones will have a hard cork-like feel. These only grow in the wild, so get some while they last.
– Look for watermelons from JF Organic Farms, Tutti Frutti Farms and Isabelle’s Farm.
Recipes for your Market Haul: