Every week Good Food visits the Wednesday Santa Monica Farmers’ Market and brings the latest news from farmers and chefs.
This week Laura Avery talks with Luis Jaime of JF Organic Farms about his red okra and green okra. The red okra will lose its color if cooked, but will become a darker red if quickly blanched.
Plus , Corina Weibel , chef-owner of Canelé, is shopping for Romanesco squash from Coleman Family Farm . She likes to slice them the size of thick coins, so when sautéed they can get crispy on the outside and stay tender on the inside. Or she marinates them in a vinaigrette and serves them raw.
What You Should Buy This Weekend At the Farmers’ Market:
– Green okra and red okra from JF Farms. Listen to farmer Luis Jaime talk about his okra on this week’s market report.
Autumn Royal grapes
Sweet Scarlett grapes
from Murray Family Farms are firm, plump and bursting with flavor.
– Romanesco squash and Peruvian mint from Coleman Family Farm. Try using the Peruvian mint as a basil substitute in a homemade pesto sauce. And find chef Carina Weibel sharing some Romanesco squash cooking tips on this week’s market report.
– Gretel eggplant and Sicilian tomatoes from Weiser Family Farms. Farmer Alex Weiser recommends cutting his Gretels lengthwise and sauteeing them in a sauce. But where’s the Hansel eggplant? Farmer Weiser does grow them, but they were not available this week. They look exactly like the white Gretel eggplant, but have a dark purple skin.
– Fresh honeycomb submerged in a jar of honey from Isabell’s Honey Farm.
– Spotted Leopard romaine and butter lettuce from The Garden of…..
The Garden of is the latest farm to join the Wednesday Farmers’ Market. Here is David Karp’s profile of farmers Shu and Debby Takikawa for the LA Times in 2012.
Recipes for your Market Haul: