Every week Good Food visits the Wednesday Santa Monica Farmers’ Market and brings the latest news from farmers and chefs.
Alex Weiser is the farmer behind Weiser Family Farms. This October he will harvest his first crop of Emerald Green Oaxacan corn. It’s a dent corn that can be dried and milled for tamales, tortillas and cornbread.
What You Should Buy This Weekend At the Farmers’ Market
– The white corn from Gloria Tamai’s Fruits and Vegetables were picked at a medium growth, which creates less starch and a sweeter taste. Also look for their Sun Gold Cherry tomatoes.
– Look for Chocolate mint, Lime mint and Calendula flowers from Coleman Family Farms in Carpentaria. The Calendula’s edible petals are a beautiful topping for soups and salads.
– The newly introduced Gourmet melons from Weiser Family Farms in Tehachapi are a cantaloupe and honeydew hybrid.
– The Anna apples from Flora Bella Farms in Three Rivers are their first apples of the season.
– The Shishito peppers from Maggie’s Farm in Agoura were grown in a mixture of fermented organic fertilizer and worm castings. The Shishitos taste like a bell pepper and jalapeno hybrid.
– Look for yellow watermelons from Murray Family Farms in Bakersfield. The yellow flesh stems from its wild origins.
– Ambrosia and Cavaillon melons from Munak Ranch in Paso Robles.
Recipes for your Market Haul: