Every Thursday on the Good Food Blog we share a recipe from our archives.
Dede Thogmartin of Thogmartin Farms mentioned this recipe. She first shared this recipe for Black Bean Pumpkin Soup on October 12, 2002.
Keep reading for the full recipe…
Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
Makes about 9 cups
- Three 15 1/2 ounce cans black beans (about 4 1/2 cups), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced shallot
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- a 16-ounce can pumpkin puree (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry Sherry
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
Garnish: sour cream and coarsely chopped lightly toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
- In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook onion, shallot, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and Sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Just before serving, add ham and vinegar and simmer soup, stirring, until heated through. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup garnished with sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds.