This week on Good Food, Kajsa Alger, Executive Chef at Street in Hollywood talks to Laura Avery about what market ingredients are inspiring her this week at the Santa Monica Farmers Market. Beginning March 2nd, Street will revamp the menu to feature over 20 vegan and vegetarian dishes. Like this Braised Greens & Chorizo recipe, Kajsa’s new menu items can include meat or not include meat – without compromising the flavor. Keep reading for the complete recipe…
Braised Greens & Chorizo
1 gallon each of chopped red chard and chopped purple kale (approx 3-4 bunches total), washed well
3 leeks, thinly sliced and washed well
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 link of Bilbao style Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a large pot, place the oil and leeks and cook over low heat until the leeks are soft.
- Add the garlic and chorizo (if using) and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the flavors are released.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the greens and salt (you can add this to taste depending on the saltiness of your chorizo), stirring continually, until they are well wilted.
- Reduce the heat once more to low and simmer the greens for another 10 minutes until soft and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and pour off any excess liquid. Serve immediately.