Every Thursday on the Good Food Blog we share a recipe from our archives.
Chilled Cantaloupe Soup
2 cantaloupes (about 4 pounds)
Grated zest of 1 orange
Juice of 1 orange
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons sweet white vermouth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
2 tablespoons sour cream
6 fresh basil leaves
- Cut melons in half and remove seeds.- Scoop out 6 tiny balls from melon 1 melon half for garnish.
- Remove skin from melons and cut flesh into small chunks.
- Combine cantaloupe, orange zest, orange juice, ginger, and basil with vermouth, salt, and pepper in a lender or a food processor fitted with the steel blade.- Puree until fine. Add sour cream and blend.
- Strain soup into a large bowl and taste for seasoning.- Refrigerate 4 hours before serving.
- Serve in chilled bowls and garnish with sour cream, cantaloupe balls, and basil leaves.
May be kept up to 8 hours in refrigerator. Serve cold.