Picnic season is upon us. Temperatures are warming and days are growing longer; here at Good Food that has us wondering what to pack for our next hike in the canyon or jaunt to the beach.
Kate Perutz offers some picnic inspiration via her blog The Saturday Picnic Society. She lives in London, but her meals-on-the-go translate seamlessly to our Southern California lifestyle. Try her Marmalade Granola and Trail Mix recipe for a snack on the trail and listen to more of her picnic ideas below.
Marmalade Granola and Trail Mix
(Makes 6 cups granola)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons fine shred or shredless orange marmalade
2/3 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 ½ cups whole rolled oats
1 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup dried apricot, chopped
½ cup golden raisins
1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
For the marmalade granola:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Measure vegetable oil, maple syrup and marmalade into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the marmalade dissolves, whisking to break up any lumps. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and set aside.
3. Measure the oats, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds into a large mixing bowl.
4. Pour the syrup mixture over the oats. Stir to combine and making sure to coat all of the oats and nuts with the syrup.
5. Divide the oat mixture onto the baking sheets and spread evenly.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, swapping the trays and stirring halfway through. You want the granola to be a toasty, golden colour when finished. Keep an eye on the nuts towards the end, they can turn quickly.
7. Remove the trays from the oven and divide the dried raisins, apricot and candied orange peel over the granola. Stir to combine and leave to cool.
This granola can be used a base for pretty much whatever you like. I like it sprinkled on Greek yoghurt with strawberries in the morning but you can also use it to make a great trail mix for when you’re out exploring. The list below is more of a set of suggestions than a recipe, get creative with it!
2 cups marmalade granola
1/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/3 cup dark chocolate covered cranberries
1/3 cup yoghurt covered raisins
1/3 cup crystalised ginger
Mix all ingredients, pack up and head out.