Every Thursday on the Good Food Blog we share a recipe from our archives.
Christine Moore, owner of Little Flower Candy Co. says America has a fascination with Peeps and offers the following recipe so that you can make your own fluffy marshmellow treats at home. She first shared this recipe for Marshmallows on April 2, 2005.
Keep reading for the full recipe…
Makes approximately 40 marshmallows
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)
- Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment. Let it stand 30 minutes.
- Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 cup of water in a small heavy saucepan. Place over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals.
- Clip on a candy thermometer; raise heat to high. Cook syrup with stirring until it reaches 244– (firm-ball stage). Immediately remove pan from heat.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly and carefully pour syrup into the softened gelatin. Increase speed to high. Beat until mixture is very thick and white, and has almost tripled in volume, about 15 minutes. Add vanilla, beating to incorporate.
- Generously dust an 8″ x 12″ glass baking pan with confectioners’ sugar. Pour marshmallow mixture into pan. Dust with confectioners’ sugar; let stand overnight, uncovered, to dry out.
Note: Add a few drops of food coloring for colorful seasonal treats.