Tomorrow on Good Food, Chef Brandon Boudet of the recently refurbished Tom Bergin’s Old Horseshoe and Thoroughbred Club talks to Laura Avery about his clever spin on Irish comfort food. He gives his Southern California market driven spin to a Irish Boxty by adding summer vegetables like squash, sweet corn and spinach. Keep reading for his recipe for a Boxty with Summer Squash, Sweet White Corn Purée & Irish Cheddar…
Tom Bergin’s Boxty with Summer Squash, Sweet White Corn Purée & Irish Cheddar
For the Boxty:
2lbs russet potatoes chopped
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbs chives chopped
Butter for cooking pancakes
1. Peel and chop potatoes , then purée in blender with 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
2. Add all dry ingredients together and mix well then add to potato mixture along with egg and milk, chives and rest of buttermilk.
3. In a 10 inch non stick pan on med high heat add 1/2 ts of butter to pan then ladle 2 oz of batter into pan and tilt pan to spread out pancake evenly . Cook on each side till golden brown about 90 seconds. Should resemble a crepe when done.
For the Sautéed Summer Squash:
3lbs of assorted summer squash cut into medium dice
3 oz of Irish butter
2 sprigs of thyme
2 cloves garlic
2 shallots sliced thin
Salt and pepper
1. Add butter to a large skillet, add garlic and shallots, sauté for 3 minutes.
2. Add thyme sprigs to skillet, then add squash and sauté till golden and just soft appx. 5-10 minutes.
Sweet White Corn Purée
3 cups shucked white corn with milk from cob included
1 tbs butter
1 tbs creme fraiche
1 tbs milk
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1. Sauté corn with butter in a pan for 5 minutes
2. In a high powered blender purée corn with creme fraiche , milk , salt , and pepper on high for 2 minutes .
Place boxty on plate add sautéed summer squash to center of boxty then top with 2 oz of corn purée and some grated Irish cheddar, fold boxty over and serve.