Every week on the Good Food Blog we celebrate Meatless Monday by sharing a vegetarian recipe from our archives.
Moist, Savory Corn Muffins
Makes 1 dozen muffins
- 1 can (14.75 ozs) creamed corn
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Set a 12-cup muffin tin (with 1/2 cup capacity cups) in oven to heat while you make batter.
- Put creamed corn in a covered 1 quart pyrex measuring cup or small microwave-safe bowl and microwave until it comes to a full boil (or heat in a medium saucepan over medium heat). Stir in 1 cup cornmeal to make a very thick, pasty mush. (If mush is not stiff, microwave or heat for another 30 seconds or so.) Whisk in buttermilk, then eggs, and finally butter.
- Mix remaining 1 cup cornmeal with flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined.
- Remove muffin tin from oven and spray lightly with vegetable cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among cups (a spring-action ice cream scoop works well). Bake until muffins are golden brown, more noticeably on sides and bottom, about 15 minutes.
- Turn muffins out onto a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm.