Every week on the Good Food Blog we celebrate Meatless Monday by sharing a vegetarian recipe from our archives.
Amelia Saltsman, author of The Santa Monica Farmers’ Market Cookbook, first shared this recipe for No-Cream Creamy Corn Soup with Chipotle Chiles, Cilantro and Lime with Laura Avery on August 20, 2005.
Keep reading for the full recipe…
No-Cream Creamy Corn Soup with Chipotle Chiles, Cilantro and Lime
Makes 4 servings
- 6 ears corn
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- White pepper
- 4 chipotle chiles
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup crema
- Using a box grater, grate corn into a bowl. Saut- the onion and celery in a wide pot over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn and stock and season with salt and white pepper. Cook partially covered over medium low heat 15 minutes. Leave soup as is or puree.
- Soften chiles in boiling water (4 minutes in microwave or 10 minutes simmering on stove). Discard stem and seeds from chiles. With motor running, drop garlic cloves into processor. When chopped, add chiles, cilantro, lime juice, and salt to bowl and process until well blended. Add olive oil in a slow stream and process until blended. Pour soup into bowls and drizzle each with about a tablespoon of the chile mixture and a tablespoon of the crema.