On the day after Democrats won control of the Congress, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld steps down; Former CIA Director Robert Gates is named to replace him. Nancy Pelosi will be the new House Speaker, but the Senate majority may not be known before Christmas. President Bush and Speaker-elect Pelosi pledge bi-partisanship, but what about their differences on the war in Iraq? Just who is Nancy Pelosi and what are the prospects for divided government? Will there be re-counts for Senate seats in Virginia -- where Republican Senator George Allen is trailing Democrat James Webb -- and Montana -- where Republican Senator Conrad Burns appears to have lost his seat to Democrat John Tester? Whatever happened to “the permanent Republican majority?” Can Democrats maintain power without the South?
Midterm Elections Bring Big Changes
- Jackie Yamanaka - News Director at Yellowstone Public Radio
- Tova Wang - Fellow at the Century Foundation
- Eleanor Clift - Daily Beast - @EleanorClift
- Thomas Edsall - Columbia School of Journalism - @Edsall
- Tom Schaller - Professor of Political Science, University of Maryland
- Jeff Schapiro - Political reporter and columnist, Richmond Times-Dispatch