General Stanley McChrystal says success against the Taliban depends on support from the Afghan people, but public opinion is fast turning sour. Reports of election fraud could sap all confidence in President Hamid Karzai and, if he wins, political opponents might turn to violence. If more US troops are needed, contractors for non-combat roles could reduce the number, but contractors guarding the US embassy are accused of misbehavior Afghans find shocking. We hear more today as questions remain about President Obama's objectives.
Are Hearts and Minds Being Won or Lost in Afghanistan?
- Anand Gopal - New America Foundation - @anand_gopal_
- Stephen Biddle - George Washington University / Council on Foreign Relations - @ElliottSchoolGW
- Brian Katulis - senior fellow at the Center for American Progress - @Katulis
- Adam Zagorin - Project on Government Oversight
- Christine Fair - Georgetown University - @CChristineFair