During the Bush Administration, the US and Israel worked hand in glove, but President Obama has outraged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Obama demands a "freeze" on settlements in the West Bank and that a Jewish housing development in East Jerusalem not be permitted. Former diplomats say Obama's reneging on promises made by President Bush. Most American Jews still support the President, but even left-wing Israelis want reassurances that the US is still a friend. As the US tries to restart the peace process, we try to sort this all out.
Settlements Strain Relations between the US and Israel
- Elliott Abrams - former Deputy Advisor for Middle East Affairs, National Security Council
- Ori Nir - Americans for Peace Now - @OriNir_APN
- Jonathan Tobin - National Review / Federalist / Jewish News Service - @jonathans_tobin
- Gerald Steinberg - Bar Ilan University - @GeraldNGOM
- Ron Kampeas - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - @kampeas