Last week the Democratic majorities in Congress passed--and the president signed--the FISA bill. The biggest revamping of federal surveillance powers in 30 years allows more wiretapping of people overseas and at home, and provides phone companies with immunity from lawsuits for what they did - at the Bush Administration's request- before the law was passed. Barack Obama voted for it, despite earlier promises that he would filibuster if it contained that provision.
Lame-Duck President Gets His FISA Bill
- Eric Lichtblau - New York Times - @EricLichtblau
- Jane Harman - Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars - @TheWilsonCenter
- Ed Kilgore - political columnist at New York Magazine, and former Democratic strategist - @ed_kilgore
- Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com - @ggreenwald
- Shirley Anne Warshaw - Presidential Scholar, Gettysburg College