Israel is under intense international pressure, and today it suspended attacks in Gaza to ease the humanitarian crisis. After three hours, the fighting resumed. At the United Nations, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas attended a Security Council meeting on the conflict. On another front, French President Sarkozy is working with Egypt and Syria on terms of a ceasefire. Israel said it welcomes a peace effort by France and Egypt. We talk with people in Gaza itself, update the international diplomacy and hear conflicting views on the Israeli initiative from American Jews.
Israel, Gaza and the Prospects for Peace
- Mukhaimer Abu Saada - Professor of Political Science, al Azhar University
- Anne-Sophie Bonefeld - Jerusalem-based Spokeswoman, International Committee of the Red Cross
- Eric Yoffie - President, Union for Reform Judaism
- Diane Balser - Executive Director, Brit Tzedek v'Shalom
- Ribhi Salem - Director, American International School