Nobody really knows how much oil and gas lie under the vast areas of the oceans that President Obama wants to open for exploration. But environmentalists are "appalled" by the danger of spills on pristine coastlines, and drilling advocates say too many areas are still being left off limits. The big question is whether the strategy of giving a bit to both sides will provide enough votes for a comprehensive policy on energy needs and climate change. With little time left until the mid-term elections, we hear about the green economy, national security and the goal of "energy independence."
Obama Drills for Consensus on Energy
- Stephen Power - Energy and Environmental Policy Reporter, Wall Street Journal
- Norman Ornstein - American Enterprise Institute / Atlantic - @NormOrnstein
- Frances Beinecke - President, Natural Resources Defense Council - @NRDC
- Ben Lieberman - Senior Energy Policy Analyst, Heritage Foundation
- Robert Bryce - Manhattan Institute - @pwrhungry