From King to Obama: America Receives It’s First Black President
Barack Obama declared that Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a day of service and today, with the First-Lady-to-be, he surprised a group of volunteers in Washington, DC sending cards, letters and packages to troops serving overseas. Barack and Michelle Obama then circulated through a crowd of very excited people, shaking hands and getting their pictures taken. There is, of course, heavy symbolism in the coincidence of Dr. King’s birthday falling on the day before the inauguration of America’s first African American president.
- Cheryl Contee - Jack and Jill Politics - @ch3ryl
- Wayne Bennett - TheFieldNegro.com - @fieldnegro
- Glen Ford - Executive editor of Blackagendareport.com
- Rachel Skerritt - High school principal and novelist living in Boston
- Barbara Seals Nevergold - Co-founder, University of Buffalo's Uncrowned Queens Institute
- Peggy Brooks-Bertram - Co-founder, University of Buffalo's Uncrowned Queens Institute