Republicans claim a voter mandate to cut federal spending, but what programs do they have in mind? The big gorillas are Medicare and Social Security. President Bush's prescription drug plan will cost more over 10 years than Obama's stimulus and health plans combined. Will they reduce defense spending or cut back on the war in Afghanistan? What about the lame-duck session of the current Congress starting in ten days? Not a single appropriation bill has been passed. The Bush tax cuts are set to expire. Nuclear arms cuts with Russia are on the table. President Obama has invited future House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to the White House two weeks from today, while the lame duck session of the current Congress is trying to deal with unfinished business.
The New Congress and the Old One's Unfinished Business
- Anna Fifield - US Political Correspondent, Financial Times
- John Fortier - Research Fellow, American Enterprise Institute
- David Corn - Mother Jones magazine - @DavidCornDC
- Matthew Continetti - Washington Free Beacon
- Spencer Ackerman - national security correspondent and author of “Reign of Terror: How the 9/11 Era Destabilized America and Produced Trump” - @attackerman