The White House, the candidates and the Congress are working together on a massive commitment of public money. Saying that the entire economy is in danger, President Bush told the nation last night that the failure to act now might lead to a panic. The pressure is on as Democrats and Republicans struggle to rescue Wall Street and reassure taxpayers at the same time. This afternoon, Congressional negotiators gave no details, but after hours behind closed doors they emerged to announce they've worked out a compromise. We hear what the latest polls show about public opinion. What's the difference between a "bailout" and an "investment?" With just five weeks left until election day, should John McCain and Barack Obama debate as scheduled tomorrow night?
Lawmakers Announce Deal on Bailout Plan
- Dana Milbank - Washington Post - @Milbank
- Norman Ornstein - American Enterprise Institute / Atlantic - @NormOrnstein
- Michael Crowley - Politico - @MichaelCrowley
- Jared Bernstein - Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - @econjared
- Raghuram Rajan - former Chief Economist, International Monetary Fund