The National Organization for Women calls it "wonderfully humorous," but Ohio's Democratic State Senator Nina Turner says she's "as serious as a heart attack." She's one of the female legislators in several states who say they're giving the men a taste of their own medicine when it comes to restrictions on abortion and contraception. One proposal requires that a doctor confirm that a man has a medical reason for taking Viagra and knows the side effects before he can get a prescription. Another declares it an act against children for men to "waste" sperm. Supporters ask why anti-abortion laws don't make fathers equally accountable. We hear from them and from counterparts calling themselves "pro-life."
State Politics and the Gender Wars
- Lynn Wachtmann - Ohio House of Representatives
- Nina Turner - Ohio State Senate - @ninaturner
- Constance N. Johnson - Oklahoma State Senate
- Joshua Trevino - Texas Public Policy Foundation - @jstrevino
- Jim Wilson - Oklahoma State Senate