The dictator who terrorized Libya for 42 years was killed today, shot while trying to escape rebel forces in his hometown of Sirte. Since rebel forces deposed Moammar Gadhafi two months ago, he’s been on the run. Today, al Jazeera TV aired gruesome footage of armed men dragging a wounded, bloody person said to be Gadhafi. A separate clip showed his half-naked corpse, apparently shot in the head. When the Transitional National Council confirmed that he was dead, Libyans danced in the streets. We hear reaction from Tripoli, Tunesia, Qattar and Washington, DC.
The Death of Moammar Gadhafi
- Borzou Daragahi - BuzzFeed News - @borzou
- Mary Beth Sheridan - Washington Post correspondent covering Mexico and Central America
- Ronald Bruce St. John - political scientist and author
- Lawrence Korb - Center for American Progress Action Fund - @LarryKorb
- Shadi Hamid - Contributing writer,The Atlantic; senior fellow, Brookings Institution; assistant research professor of Islamic studies, Fuller Seminary; co-founder, Wisdom of Crowds, a podcast, newsletter - @shadihamid