Americans are about to celebrate the Fourth of July at a time when America's international reputation has been in decline. A country that sees itself as free, prosperous and generous is identified with the war in Iraq, Abu Ghraib and the defense of torture. Since Americans don't know much about the rest of the world, restoring the country's image will be a two-way street. Can Hollywood be an agent of public diplomacy, explaining the US to other people, at the same time it educates Americans about the rest of the world?
Hollywood, Smart Power and Public Diplomacy
- John Zogby - President and CEO, Zogby International
- Bronwen Maddox - Prospect magazine
- Mike Medavoy - author, 'You're Only as Good as Your Next One'
- Rick Barton - Senior Adviser, Center for Strategic and International Studies' International Security Program
- Peter Beinart - editor-at-large of Jewish Currents, author of The Beinart Notebook Substack, professor of journalism and political science at the City University of New York - @PeterBeinart