President Obama wants Congress to "give America a raise." But Republicans say it would be a disaster for small business. But, even if Washington fails to increase the minimum wage, states and cities already are acting on their own, along with a major employer: Gap clothing. The Congressional Budget Office warns a federal hike might cause 500,000 jobs to disappear — at the same time almost a million people could be lifted out of poverty. We look at what's happening around the country and the potential consequences for this year's congressional elections.
Is It Time to Increase the Minimum Wage?
- Los Angeles' push to raise minimum wage (WWLA discussion)
- Crook on the CBO, minimum wage hike and the EITC
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Greenhouse on Gap increasing minimum wage
- Greenhouse's 'The Big Squeeze: Tough Times for the American Worker'
- NELP on why New York should let cities, counties enact higher local minimum wages
- Unz on minimum wage debate
- Steven Greenhouse - labor reporter and author of “Beaten Down, Worked Up: The Past, Present, and Future of American Labor” - @greenhousenyt
- Clive Crook - Bloomberg View - @clive_crook
- Arun Ivatury - National Employment Law Project - @nelpnews
- Ron Unz - Silicon Valley entrepreneur - @RonUnz1