MBE Podcast: Edward Sharpe, Hiatus Kaiyote and Lissie
This week we feature recent performances from two artists who are just starting to make a name for themselves, plus one group who have already received national attention with songs on top-100 charts and a headlining performance at the Hollywood Bowl.
First up, we’ll hear from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros who, in addition to playing the Bowl, put on their own three-ring circus in Los Angeles in support of their self-titled 3rd studio album.
Next is the future soul band Hiatus Kaiyote from Melbourne, Australia whose first album Tawk Tomahawk received critical acclaim from well-known artists like Questlove of the Roots and Erykah Badu. Their single “Nakamarra” was nominated for a Grammy in the R&B performance category for 2013.
Finally we hear from up and coming artist Lissie who was named best new musician by Paste Magazine in 2010. Her blend of folk and indie-rock is coupled with an impeccable voice which she honed as a touring backup singer before moving on to her solo career.
Every two weeks, the Morning Becomes Eclectic podcast features highlights from recent in studio sessions that took place right here at KCRW.
- If I Were Free / Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- Better Days / Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- Mother / Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- All Washed Out / Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- Nakamarra / Hiatus Kaiyote
- Jekyll / Hiatus Kaiyote
- The World It Softly Lulls / Hiatus Kaiyote
- I Don't Wanna Go To Work / Lissie
- Shameless / Lissie
- Further Away (Romance Police) / Lissie