It is early Thursday morning here in beautiful Dakar, Senegal. I am putting together our show notes now because I am not sure that after tomorrow if I will have access to the internets for several days. I might have to do the notes for the show after this one from here as well. I hope you all dug last week's show, judging from the mail, it went down well with you. I left a few hours after I got off the air and flew here, via Dulles. I have been walking all over town, checking things out and digging the scene. I will be here for a little while longer and then as I told you last week, I will be flying to Mali for the Festival Au Desert. http://www.festival-au-desert.org/. Perhaps Tinariwen shows up this time! I don't know what the line up will be this year, I don't know if the festival knows either. I think they have to leave things open ended as some of the bands have a different sense of obligation than what some may be used to. So, why Senegal? I reckoned since I was coming all the way to the continent, I might as well see a country I had never been to and it's kinda cool to be at the western most part of Africa for a few days. People here are very friendly so far. Not all that interested in having their picture taken but past that, all has been well. The days are hot and the sun stays up for quite awhile, an abrupt jump from several days ago when I was in China.
So, Mali and a boat ride up the Niger are in store for me. The real question is what's in store for us tonight? Well, Fanatics, it's a great one! I have been playing this one in my hotel room and it's working for me. As you know, Engineer X and I have been working on pre-tapes for several weeks now, in an effort to keep things stoked and rockin' as I will be all over the world for the next several weeks. I am planning on recording a lot of audio at the festival. Hopefully, I will have a lot to play for you soon. Engineer X and I can work on things via the internets.
Not to throw a monkey wrench into our good time get down jamathon joyride but there is some bad news to report. Guitar extraordinaire Rowland S Howard has passed away:
If you have heard our show over the years, you know that X and I have played every permutation of this great Australian musician that we could get our hands on from his iconic work in the Birthday Party to his amazing work in Crime And The City Solution, Nikki Sudden, Lydia Lunch, These Immortal Souls and his solo work. I saw him play with the Birthday Party and with Crime. Both times, I stood right in front of his speakers and got cut to pieces. What a sound. Great singer, great stage presence. Tough break. X and I have been writing each other, trying to figure out a way to pay tribute to the man while I am out here. Perhaps something on the 02-13-10 show. Rowland was a good friend of Rollins Band guitarist and all around good guy, Chris Haskett. I sent the obit to him earlier and he was already on it. He had been getting health reports from Mick Harvey for some time. When I saw Rowland play in Crime And The City Solution, I was standing next to Chris, that was about twenty-three years ago.
So, tonight, the Roky track starts things off blazin', check out that guitar. Roky is one of the best songwriters in America. He's back and rockin' all over, if you get the chance, check him out. Sorry about the DEVO overload but they are one of those bands. It's good to hear The Tralala track again. I had that one in my car for weeks. Check out the lyric, very heavy, all wrapped in such a nice melody. I think the Jane's track is my favorite single moment. Not only is the song great but the performance is just killin'. I didn't hear anything about the shows they did last year but I am sure they were great. One of the best live bands I have ever seen, period. Absolutely crushing live. I was lucky to have seen them as many times as I did. I didn't get them at first and then one night watching them, it hit me like a truck and they became one of my favorite bands of all time. I read somewhere that Teenage Kicks by the Undertones was John Peel's favorite song. Are you checking the two versions of Mojo Hand we have for you tonight? Lightnin' said he wanted them both to be played back, so we did it! It's easy to brag on these set lists because I can say it's all great and it has little to do with me, it's all about the music and tonight, come on, this is great! I am listening to the live version of Immigrant Song now, damn! The Fela track is sheer perfection. OK, so I think you have enough good music and wise ass asides to keep you in good stead until next week's show. I am desert bound and I hope you were careful over the holidays and still with us. My new year's resolution is to make trouble and STAY FANATIC!!!
E-Mail address for Henry: HenryOnTheRadio@AOL.com
01. Roky Erickson - I Walked With A Zombie / Reverend Of Karmic Youth
02. The Tralala - The Girls Say / Tralala
03. Buzzcocks - Noise Annoys / Peel Sessions
04. Miles Davis - It's About That Time / Cellar Door
05. DEVO - Come Back Jonee / Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo
06. The Android Sisters - Elephants & Donkeys / The Android Sisters
07. Jane's Addiction - Pigs In Zen / Live And Profane
08. Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song / BBC Sessions
09. Lightnin' Hopkins - Mojo Hand Part 1 / Lightnin'!
10. Minor Threat - Stepping Stone / Complete Discography
11. Grinderman - Electric Alice / Treacle Sessions
12. Tinariwen - Imidiwan Afrik Temdam / Imidiwan: Companions
13. The Undertones - Teenage Kicks / The Undertones
14. The JBs - Givin' Up Food For Funk (Part 1) / Funky People (Part 1)
15. Family Fodder - Savoir Faire / More Great Hits!
16. Lightnin' Hopkins - Mojo Hand Part 2 / Lightnin'! Blues
17. Fela Kuti - Let's Start / Fela w/ Ginger Baker Live!
18. Nightstalker - Enough Is Not Enough / Superfreak
19. Deerhoof - Dummy Discards A Heart / Apple O'
20. Little Joe - Tradition Skank / If Deejay Was Your Trade
21. The Beatles - I Am The Walrus / Magical Mystery Tour
22. John Lee "Sonnyboy" Williamson / Hoodoo Hoodoo / Complete Vol. 05
23. Chuck Berry - Too Much Monkey Business / Greatest Hits
24. Boozoo Chavis - I'm Ready Me / Boozoo Chavis
25. DEVO - Come Back Jonee / E-Z Listening Disc