George Olesky is a Good Food listener who recently made coconut yogurt at home
George Olesky’s Homemade Coconut Yogurt
1. With a chef knife, shave away the soft outer chaff-like coating of the young coconut, exposing the hard shell.
2. Chop into the shell and carefully pry it open.
3. Pour the young coconut water into a blender.
4. Scoop out the soft flesh inside the shell and place it into the blender.
5. Add an optional 3-4 tablespoons of thick, canned coconut milk.
6. Blend on low then on high until creamy.
7. Add 2-3 tablespoons of dairy or non-dairy store-bought yogurt.
8. Blend on low for 15 seconds.
9. Pour contents into a clean glass jar or plastic container and cover.
10. Fill a small cooler about halfway with warm water; place your container of cultured coconut mixture inside and let culture for 6 hours.
The result won't be as thick or gelatinous as dairy yogurt but adding a tablespoon or two of tapioca powder early on in the process will thicken it.